Thursday, August 18, 2005

Third Time's The Charm...

I don't know what this has to do with the baby, but I dislocated my shoulder today for the third time. D'oh! The good thing/bad thing about dislocating your shoulder multiple times is that every time it is easier and less painful to reduce than the previous time. Of course, that's also the reason it dislocates more readily.

Here's how it happened: Brad Small and I were destroying his son, Chris, and Josh Patrick in a little 2-on-2 hoops. It was 2 games to NONE and we were on pace to win game 3 and take the series in a sweep. The fans had already gotten out their brooms and keys when the deal went down. Josh set a pick on Brad for Chris. I was moving over to switch and cover Chris. Chris breezed past his dad and somehow was making his way around me. I put my hands up, he made minor contact and out comes the shoulder. I hollered a moderately inappropriate phrase (dang it) and had visions of emergency rooms, hours worth of deep throbbing pain, and $1500 worth of bills (did I mention that I've done this before??). Not at all like Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon, I whimpered like a little puppy and made a successful effort at reducing the dislocation myself.

My right shoulder feels like James J. Braddock went 15 rounds on it, but other than that, I'm okay. Shannon's taking great care of me and I'm grateful that I didn't need to go to the ER. In the short term, I'm sure I'll enjoy a week or two of calling my left hand off the bench to brush my teeth and all the other tasks usually given to my all-star right hand. Lefty does okay, but we're all waiting for Righty to come back from the DL (disabled list). Aha, here's how it fits in with the baby: I'm hoping that I can have surgery and physical therapy before the baby comes so that I won't be slowed down by it after the baby comes. We'll see.

2 Comments:

Blogger AMankin said...

Dude--That trick shoulder is too cool. I am impressed that you fixed it yourself this time. I guess you have learned something after all :)

August 22, 2005 2:14 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

John Ott!!! Did you get our farewell email? We were hoping to hug your necks before you headed off to the great state of TX. Congrats on the move, and more importantly, the bambino!

August 22, 2005 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home